T.L.C. (Teens Learning to Choose)
What is sexual violence?
Sexual violence is a broad term that encompasses a continuum of words and actions varying in degree from harrassing comments of a sexual nature to sexual contact (including, but not limited to sexual intercourse) when such contact is achieved:
What is same-sex assault?
Same-sex sexual assault may ijnclude (but is not limited to) forced vaginal or anal penetration, forced oral sex, forced touching, or any additional form of forced sexual activity.
Same-sex sexual assault may occur on a date, between friends, partners or strangers.
A sexual assault is an attack not only on a person's body, but also on her/his dignity and emotional well-being.
A sexual assault is NEVER the fault of the victim!!!
Issues regarding sexual assault that are unique to the LGBT community:
- Survivors who are not "out" may find sharing and/or reporting the sexual assault difficult or impossible.
- Due to the lack of awareness of same-sex sexual assault, the LGBT community may make silence appear the only option.
- Guilt and self-blame (which are common symptoms of ALL survivors) may lead to questioning ones sexual identity and sexuality.
- One's own internalized homophobia may further complicate the complexities of sexual assault.
- Gay/bi male survivors may be apprehensive to report and fears being ignored and/or rejected as overly sensitive due to the stereotype that they are promiscuous and invited upon themselves.
- Lesbian/bi women survivors may face being ignored or having their claims discarded if their attacker is a female because women are not socially seen as sexual perpetrators.
There are many resources in the Lima/Allen County Area if you are in need of crisis. If you need immediate help, please call:
Partnership for Violence Free Families offers many support groups through its agencies. The MHRSB services Allen, Auglaize and Hardin Counties.
PFLAG Lima promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through support, education and advocacy.